Alex O'Loughlin Quotes

1. (on Jennifer Lopez) She must be pretty resilient, because I don't want that. I'm not suggesting I could ever have that, but the other thing you've got to realize about Jennifer is that she's as famous as she is based on her talent. She's a very talented woman, an incredible singer, dancer and writer who's very good at what she does, as opposed to these people you see these days who are famous for being famous. There are celebrities in this day and age who really have offered nothing artistically but they're on the cover of magazines and stuff. That world, I don't really get it.


2. I feel blessed to be part of these islands and part of this culture. This is home now.


3. We get each other's energy and we have a similar sense of humor. It's like a good marriage.


4. I write music just for me. I'm certainly not good enough to do it on any kind of a level but I enjoy that time because it's quiet.

5. Fame, for all intense and purposes, is not something that I aspire to. I certainly aspire to art. That is why I am involved in this craft. I love doing what I'm doing and I'm so grateful to be working.


6. I hated school as a kid, I just wanted to run through forests and not be inside, but now I read a lot.




7. I don't even know what my own hype is.

8. I'm an actor - there's nothing glamorous about acting until you get to the f…you money and then it all turns to s… anyway.


9. I found it difficult to adjust to LA life. But I've got a great life here now…and I'm working which makes a big difference.

10. As an actor, you have to get over yourself…so you don't judge the characters you play or the scenarios you find yourself in. I'm forever finding my mouth on men's necks or wrists, and yes, it is bizarre, but I am used to it.

11. My trumpeting sounds like a goose farting in the fog.


12. It's been such a long road for me. I've worked every day for this. The last 12-13 years has been a constant battle…I don't take it for granted.

13. It's a hobby for me , but I'm never alone if there's a guitar there.

14. It is such a cut throat industry where you get knocked down so much and get rejected so much. If you do not back yourself up, no one else is going to so you really need to learn to get up, shake the sand off your chest and keep going.


15. I was in a school play when I was 10 and had fish fingers up my nose and I was wearing these spectacles and making the audience laugh. I remember the rush and knew I loved it.

16. I live my life with lightness and laughter, unless I'm playing Xbox! Then it's about death!


17. There was a whole year, in 2005, when I wasn't getting anywhere. I had to sell my stereo and a few other things. I got my motorbike stolen, it was miserable. I was sleeping on a mate's office floor questioning my talent - that was really difficult.






18. I am a big fan of vampires. I've always been obsessed with the genre, and the beautiful romanticism and erotic kind of nature of the immortal being, the undead who lives on human blood.


19. The mecca of filmmaking in the world just so happens to be in America. It's quite simply a case of us just going where the work is.





20. The film moves at the pace of life on the Hawkesbury River. It is an honest to life, romantic comedy. It is a fantastic actors piece.


21. I love working with kids, I've never not enjoyed it. But then again maybe I've never had a bad kid. The thing about working with children is that there are no walls there, no barriers between you and their vanity. When you're working with adults, we all have vanity, narcissism, whatever we have that has to do with our ego can potentially get in the way of our work. With kids there is a purity and an innocence regardless of what character they're playing within them. And so to tap into that is just extraordinary to work with because it's so true.

22. I don't really act like I'm famous. I just do my thing. I'm not that famous, dude. Sometimes I get pointed out or some people shuffle up and ask for an autograph or a photograph, but I'm not at a point where I can't leave the house, thank God. I think the downsides would be losing your anonymity and not being able to trust people, to tell whether people want to be with you and get to know you because of your celebrity or because of who you are.

23. When I looked around the set at the amazing actors I was working with - Jack Thompson, Kerry Armstrong, Jim Norton, David Field - it sometimes didn't feel quite real. I feel very fortunate to have had the experience, every moment I listened intently and watched what they were doing. I had so much to learn and they were all so willing to teach...I felt blessed.

24. I love the Australian industry but it's a boutique industry - the US is where it is. If I want to buy a house, I'd have to stay in Australia making movies for a hundred years.

25. The script looks at what it is like to be a man in this society. Jack is an Aussie bloke, he's a little bit ostentatious, a little bit obnoxious, a little bit cheeky, but he's sensitive as well. Jack is really a city kid who ends up in the scrub for the first time in his life and, unexpectedly, finds a community and love.




26. I've got really fantastic fans from all over the world.

27. I lived in New York with Jonathan Rhys Meyers while making the movie "August Rush" - in which I play a Dubliner - and it was helpful that Jonathan is Irish. I kept that accent for four months.

28. The screen test for James Bond was a real "pinch yourself" moment I'll never forget.


29. When you're in a scene with Jack Thompson boy oh boy you know you're in a scene with Jack Thompson, because his honesty as an actor and his power as a man are so incredible. His body, his voice, his focus, his homework...These forces combine and he's a powerhouse. He's a powerhouse of a man and a powerhouse as an actor. It's magic working with him.

30. I really enjoy doing charity, for a good cause, it's like the least I can do, I really enjoy that stuff. I enjoy giving back.


31. Without my fans and their support, my job is pointless.

32. Once you've done a couple of films, I think the whole idea of being a movie star - well I don't know about the "star" thing - but the idea of working regularly in feature films that's my dream. To go from one character to the next and get to tell a million different stories, that would be wonderful, I'd love to be able to do that.

33. I'm a very passionate person. I'm very positive. I'm very tenacious. I can be outgoing, and I'm a go-getter. When I believe in something, I go after it.


34. I love playing different roles, the more variety the better. Once I've played a role I don't want to play it again.





35. I didn't go to leading man school. I went to drama school. I don't want to play the same role, every role I get.

36. I personally think that you make your own character decisions. And sometimes that stuff never makes it into the final cut of the show.


37. I get up in the morning and my hair is all hanging in my face and poking up on one side, I need to shave and I look older than I am. When I stagger into the kitchen to get my breakfast, I don't think: "Oh, look at that handsome guy. Look at that talented special creature".






38. I do have a stunt double because there are certain things that they won't let me do. Like they won't set fire to me. They won't like let me jump off a 20 story building. There are certain big stunts that it's just impossible to get insurance to let me do, but for the most part I'd say I do probably 75% of my stuff.


39. I am seeing a lot more of myself in pictures. I think this has created an exposure I have needed to forward my career.




40. I've always been a wildcard. Always have been, always will be.

41. Quite frankly, I couldn't survive as an actor…I was sick of waiting tables and pouring beers, digging holes on building sites.


42. I wear a lot of hats, like I wear a lot. I always have a lot of hats, and I really love hats. Like, I have floppy ones, I have, kind of, broad, full brimmed, I have baseball caps. I just like hats. I'm a hat guy.

43. There is nothing intimate about a sex scene at all. You have got 30 people standing around and there is a camera between your legs and there are lights and make-up girls looking at your bum to make sure you haven't got too much shine. If I never did another one, that would be just fine.

44. Losing my anonymity in this world I think is something that I find terrifying.

45. I am getting sent for the leading men's roles but I am just doing my best because there are so many leading men out there.


46. I hate gyms. I run in the canyons. I run in the mountains. I like running outside and I have some equipment at home that I use but I like using nature.


47. I realized that every time I'd gone to the movies, I'd walk away with this awful feeling. I don't know if it was envy or yearning, but I worked out that I was watching people do what I wanted to do.

48. I'm crazy for motorcycles. That's my most dangerous vice.


49. When I was 18 or 19, I was showing off, one day, in front of a group of my friends. A good friend of mine pulled me aside and said: "You know, you're an actor, and if you don't do anything about it, you should be ashamed of yourself." When I thought about it, I realized that he was right. I'd spent my life, to date, walking out of cinemas and theatres, and away from performances, feeling a strange, nostalgic, empty, sick feeling, and I could never explain it to the people I was with. It was this thing that isolated me from people. And then, it all just clicked into place. And so, from that moment, I pursued it and I haven't looked back.

50. My family is extremely supportive. They are very forward-thinking, good parents. They're great. I think most parents have preconceived, unrealistic hopes for their children but, children are people and they'll find what they want to do.

51. The first year I was here I was auditioning all the time and got no work. I had no money and a piece of s- car and in the end I had to hock things like my stereo to get by. I was just doing anything to scrape by, working on a building site for $15 an hour. There were times I was thinking: "What am I doing, this is crazy". I was scared because I had no money and no ticket home. That is the time when everyone else packs up and leaves. But I remembered everything my grandfather taught me about the work ethic before he died. He was brought up out in the bush and his advice was "put your head down and keep working, son, and you'll get what's coming to you". You just push through.

52. I like playing the villain.

53. I've got to tell you, man, it's (success) not always about having great talent. Great talent does not always equate to success. I do not think I'm a great talent. I think I'm a medium talent, but I think I understand the business and enjoy the business. It’s a right-place-at-the-right-time kind of business, but it's also about perseverance.


54. A lot of my friends have been to battle in Somalia and the Gulf War. They have been to different parts of the world. They go in trained in one specific area, and they come out knowing a whole lot more. You experience a bunch of other stuff, because of the nature of what is going on.




55. Time is the thing. A show like this pulls all your time away from you. Usually I'll get home from work on a Saturday about 10am (after doing night shooting) and I'll sleep until Saturday afternoon. Saturday night and Sunday I'm usually feeling wiped out and I've not seen Holly all week. It's a pretty full-on life, but what do you do? I love my work and there are sacrifices.


56. There are a few cats around town that I am buddies with. I can chat with them. I borrow cats. I will borrow my buddy's cat. The best cat is your friend's cat.

57. I'm the son of an everyman. My father is a teacher. He teaches physics at a boys' school in Sydney.


58. As a kid, the head of my bed was underneath a really big window. You could see the stars really clearly. I would lay on my back and look up at the stars. From the moment I sort of learned the concept of infinity, and I could grasp it, I struggled with it. The stars used to keep me awake at night. So much so, I had trouble getting up to go to school the next day. I would be doing head miles about this thing called infinity. How it never stops. What do you mean it doesn't have an end? Even if it doesn't have an ending, what is after that? The immortality became entwined in my brain. This idea that you could go on forever. That everything would be dead except for you. I've always been fascinated by that as well.

59. I don't know what I'm really good at. I'm really good at sittin' by the pool. I have to work at that. I'm really bad at auditioning.

60. I think really if there's nothing out there in the dark, then once we're dead we're just dead and all religion, all spiritual belief, is redundant. So there has to be something else, or what's the point? And if we accept that there has to be something...then there can be anything.

61. We will be the bromance of the decade!


62. Apparently, according to the rest of the world and several big newspapers back where I'm from, I'm the son of the late Bon Scott, the late singer of AC/DC. I was shocked. And then I was thrilled. I rock. But then my mom called me and she was very upset. Publicly, you know, labeled a groupie and therefore a hussy and a harlot, which isn't true at all. My mom is a very wonderful woman and very respectable. And so I suppose it's probably a good time to say since he's passed on and he can't speak the truth, I should speak for Bon and say that I'm pretty sure he's not my dad.


63. I do not think I'm a great talent. I think I'm a medium talent, but I think I understand the business and enjoy the business.


64. My father is a teacher in Sydney. He teaches physics and astronomy at a private boys' school in Sydney. We have a great thing that we do today, you know, now that I'm all grown up, and I can read by myself. We have a book club thing. Of course, it's still on CD. So we kind of refer books to each other, and we read them and then we chat about it which is terrific.



65. It's nice having your work recognized but having people follow you around is kinda weird.


66. My parents divorced when I was two. From the age of 10, I went back and forth between the cities.



67. I didn't feel that engaged with the world as a kid. I wasn't the fastest learner. I didn't feel like I fit.

68. Mum's a musician. She plays piano and has a beautiful voice, so she understands the creative need. Mum lights up when she sees me. Her cheeks go pink - she's all over me, pulling my hair, pinching my cheeks.


What do you think of Alex O'Loughlin's quotes?


Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts