Shailene Woodley Defends Miley Cyrus In Vanity Fair: "She's Not Doing Mean Things"

Shailene Woodley supports Miley Cyrus, admires George Clooney and Kate Winslet and recalls Josh Hutcherson in newly released quotes from her Vanity Fair cover story.  





Of the attack Cyrus, 21, receives, Woodley, 22, disagrees.

"Miley isn't rude or mean or cruel to anyone in her actions. She just does herself. And regardless of whether you agree with what she's doing or not, it's none of your business what she does. She's not in the world doing mean things," Shailene pointed out.


"Why are all these parents or all these people freaking out about Miley being herself? If you don't want your kids to watch it, you know, you can change that situation at home, but don't make a big deal of what she's doing," the "Fault In Our Stars" star noted.

Woodley also spoke out about her likeness for "Divergent" costar Kate Winslet.


Woodley was quoted as saying: "Growing up, Kate Winslet, I guess, would probably actually be the woman that I looked up to the most as an actor because she would talk about things when she wasn't comfortable around them. She talks about s**t, and she's not afraid to be like: "Yeah, this is what my body looks like. So what?""

For Shailene, Winslet, 38, "shaped a lot of who I was in high school, just sort of being like: "Yeah, I want to be a strong woman." If I saw her on the street, I wouldn't be like: (gasps) "That's Kate Winslet." I'd be like: "That's the badass mothaf**ka who is who she is.""


As for Clooney, 53, she describes him as the "angel in my life," claiming: "At 18 years old, on my first movie set, he reaffirmed everything that I thought I knew, and he just - he was it. Like he was the expression of being open. And, I mean, he knew every single person's name on set, and he hung out with the truck drivers more than he probably hung out with the actors."


And while Woodley may be in contact with Hollywood legends now, she reminisces meeting future teen stars such as Josh Hutcherson, 21, and Miranda Cosgrove, 21, during her years as a child actor.

Shailene revealed: "It's special to  - being 22 and having done it since I was five - look back again at the girls that I used to audition with and see their success now and know like, oh, my God, when we were seven years old and in that acting class together we had no idea you were going to be an "I, Carly" superstar for years and years and years, Miranda."

As for the "Hunger Games" star, "at 11 years old, Josh Hutcherson and his mom and his brother came to my mom's best friend's wedding. We were good friends as 11-year-olds, and then we haven't talked, and I saw him again the other day for the first time in, like, 10 years."

Woodley also discussed how people sometimes make wrong speculations about her.


"I actually went on a hike the other day with somebody that I had just recently met, and we were talking, and he was like, so you smoke a lot of hash, smoke a lot of pot? And I was like, what?…No, actually. And he's like, no? And I was like, no. And he goes, that's so funny. He was in his 40s, and he was like - you know, back when I was growing up, like if you sort of had these alternative-lifestyle ways, it meant that you were a total pothead," Shailene added.


Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts