Tom Odell Quotes

1. I'm a big Arcade Fire fan. I love the way they make records - "Funeral" being my favorite.  






2. I have always liked clothes and fashion. And really, being a British male, I am automatically the best dressed person in any room - especially in America.



3. There are a lot of women at my gigs. The first show I headlined was a sea of women, which I can't complain about. I'm pleased these 18-year-old girls like my music.



4. I wouldn't mind being the male Adele. She came along, and people were like: "Damn, we haven't heard anyone this real for years."


5. I don't really use Facebook, because I find it a bit intrusive on your personal life.

6. I genuinely find the most meaningful thing I do is to make music, but also to absorb some sort of creativity.

7. When I'm in London, it feels like I am that character who is "Tom Odell."



8. I love the band Haim. I would love to do something with them.



9. Music is shared. It's a shared feeling; that's what music is all about. When you listen to a song with someone else, it becomes more than just a song. It defines relationships.


10. I think everyone mentions Bob Dylan, but he's someone I just admire so much as a songwriter. I think people write songs, and then there's Bob Dylan songs. He's one step ahead of just everybody else.

11. It's like there's the rest of the world, and then there's America. Part of the reason I would really love continue to making music over here because so much of American music has inspired me, whether it's Jeff Buckley, Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen.



12. One month I'll be completely obsessed with Bob Dylan and the next Arcade Fire. I like early Elton John and David Bowie, Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen. I listen to a lot of American bands. But I like listening to new bands, too.


13. I think I subconsciously put myself in these situations where the girlfriend isn't pleased with me. I'm useless as a boyfriend. That's how I managed to write all these songs.


14. I want people to hear the honesty in my singing, and that I'm not hiding behind anything. It's raw. It's not for any arrogance or ego. It's just pure feelings.





15. What's nice about Twitter is that you've got that point of contact with your fans that artists have never had before. I think it's good for musicians. Just as long as you don't start tweeting things about your girlfriends or boyfriends - there's got to be a line.



16. I don't think I'll ever be able to grow a beard.



17. Singing didn't really come naturally to me, I don't think. I had to really work at it. I just kept singing. I never was really worried about it, though, because I was writing songs, and that was the most important thing to me.



18. I tend to write and record things quite quickly. You can tamper with things for years, and it's artistic laziness sometimes.



19. The dominant male is history. Could you see a male Lady Gaga? The closest we've got is Justin Bieber, who'd be locked up if he tried the stuff Gaga gets away with. Women are the only rock stars now. Adele is brutally honest. I want to be like her.



20. Throughout my entire life, I constantly tried to fight normality. I hate it. I hate the idea of it. I hate routine. I hate anything that feels remotely regular or right.


21. I grew up in the suburbs of a small town on the south coast where the only opportunity I ever got to wear anything smart was a funeral, so I had never owned a piece of clothing worth more than £40.


22. When I was around 13 or 14, I started getting really into songwriting. And one day, I was rooting through my mum's old tapes and records, and I found "Grace" by Jeff Buckley. I remember so vividly the first time I put it on. It blew my mind: his voice, the way he could play the guitar. I must have listened to the album over and over for weeks.


23. When I'm at home, I like to put records on, but because I travel a lot, I listen to a lot of music on my iPhone.



24. If people stop being interested, it's because you haven't written a good enough album. Music will always be the most powerful thing. It doesn't matter what record labels or journalists say. It's the song.


25. My aspirations aren't to sell millions of records, but to write really good songs.

26. There's always a part of my brain saying: "Stop getting comfortable. Don't relax." Because I find it difficult to write when I'm happy. I have to go out there and get battered up and bruised to write anything. I have to feel something.



27. The first song I ever wrote was when I was 12, and it had, like, four lines in it. You progress and get better.


28. I would consider myself a perfectionist, yeah. I don't think that is always that helpful, either. Sometimes it's good to be a little more open-minded; you can overthink things when things are actually fine, and it's that moment that you lose it. Looking back, sometimes I've made mistakes from being a perfectionist.


29. The strongest feelings I've had in my life are when love has gone right and when love has gone bad. And I think strong feelings make good songs.



30. I find myself more affected by music the more I do it. Particularly when you're touring, and you're in the bus, and you're listening to loads of music. Life becomes far more dramatic, I guess - you're never in the same place; you're constantly meeting new people. You almost become more sensitized to music.


31. Every musician writes about past relationships. And other than that, I can promise you, I have very little in common with Taylor Swift.


32. I'm not saying you have to be totally despondent or anything, but... in New York, it's cold sometimes; it rains sometimes; even if everything in your life is great, bad weather can set the mood. You can write songs in New York because it's not always perfect. To write a good song, things can't be perfect.

33. I've only ever had one doubt about music. It came when I was 11. I hated playing scales.

34. Everyone in England knows about Burberry, and it kind of represents a standard of being well-dressed... But the nice thing is, they have a lot of clothes, so I still feel like myself whenever I'm wearing their clothes.



35. Songs are about just being totally honest and putting those words to music.


36. I don't really have loads of friends - three or four who are close. The thing that I love the most is playing with my band, and with everything else I feel kind of uncomfortable. I don't think I'm socially awkward. I just prefer being behind a piano.


What do you think of Tom Odell's quotes?


Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts